Friday, August 14, 2009

Review: Friday Night Knitting Club

Book: Friday Night Knitting Club


Author: Kate Jacobs

Rating: 3.5 Stars

Short Review: A relatively light read with some unexpected turns.



The Friday Night Knitting Club is a story of friendship between some very different women who happen to visit the same yarn store in Manhattan’s upper west side.


When James breaks Georgia Walker’s heart and walks away from her life, she is completely shattered… and pregnant. With the help of close friend and mentor Anita, Georgia slowly builds her life around her daughter - Dakota and her passion – knitting. ‘Walker and Daughter’, the yarn store that she runs with Anita’s and Peri’s help, soon blossoms into a successful business. It attracts a wide range of customers. Some of the regulars start coming together at the same time and soon “The Friday Night Knitting Club” is formed.

There are a lot of characters in the book. Though they are unique people and completely different from each other, it took me a while to get them all in to my head. In the beginning, I had to constantly remind myself who each person was but slowly, I settled in to the rhythm of the book and the characters didn’t seem confusing anymore. I must accept that the characters are well developed. Kate has done a wonderful job of giving each one of the myriad of characters a unique personality and of course their own issues. Each woman is struggling with a different kind of a problem and somehow coming together as a group helps them all.

However, it is not just the regular customers that need support – the strong willed and successful Georgia Walker has issues of her own as well. James is suddenly back in town and wants to be an active part of Dakota’s (and Georgia’s?) life. To make matters worse, Georgia is suddenly forced to come face to face with Cat – a wealthy socialite who was once Georgia’s backstabbing best friend.


Unlikely friendships are formed in the club and the women support each other more than they expect. The Friday Night Knitting Club is more than just a collection of women with a single interest. It is a potpourri of cultures and relationship issues.


Though I enjoyed the book, I personally thought that it had so much more potential. Kate brings up so many cultural and relationship issues but lets them all fizzle out without giving it any definite shape. It was definitely a light and easy book to read and some unexpected turns do bring tears to your eyes but I kept feeling that she could have done so much more with the book!


Have you read this book? I am sure most of you must have already read it. There was a time in the middle when every blogger I knew was reading and raving about the Friday Night Knitting Club. I finally managed to get hold of a copy.

Anyways, do let me know what you thought of the book! And if you haven’t read it, you should give it a shot. Even if you are not a knitter.. yes! Don’t let the title and the front cover let you think this one is one only for the knitters!

10 comments:

Jenny said...

I really liked this book (and cried when I read it, too) but I haven't felt the need to read any of the sequels. I guess that says something, but not sure what, lol!

bermudaonion said...

I may be the last one left, but I haven't read this book. I've have seen several reviews of it and it does seem that most people have enjoyed it.

Valerie said...

Ramya, my impression of the book was very similiar to yours. I felt that the character of Georgia's ex-boyfriend was well-developed compared to most of the other characters.

I'm not in a hurry to read the sequel, but when and if I do, I'll be curious to find whether the same characters are there and if they are developed further.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

I own this, but haven't read it yet. I will keep in in mind for a light read. Maybe for the airplane??!! That sounds good. I hope I get to read on the airplane, we'll see how it goes with the boys :) on our trip to visit my parents in Spain.

trish said...

Hey, Ramya! Just wanted you to know I sent you an email. :)

Meera said...

I've read this on my flight back to India and u r right, it is a light read.
I enjoyed the knitting part as well and wanted to start myself but that did not see the light of the day.
But it is def worth givin a shot!!

Veens said...

hmm... I have read good reviews on this one. But the plot alone makes me want to read the book. Thank you for the honest review Ramya!

Veens said...

I hope you are doing well Ramya!

S. Krishna said...

I read this book and enjoyed it until the twist at the end! I didn't like that ending at all.

Melissa - Shhh I'm Reading said...

I've had this one on my shelf forever and have only heard good things about it. I really need to move it up!